What to do when switching car insurance?

What to do when switching car insurance?

I am planning on switching car insurance providers b/c:1.) My car got stolen 01/25/2013 and I only had liability coverage (car was a 1996 Nissan Maxima)2.) I was hit in October 2012 and it was not my fault and received settlement money b/c my car was deemed a total loss3.) With that money I put a down payment on a used car this past weekend b/c now I truly had no car4.) I now need full coverage to my current policy and replace the old car with the newer one but the 6-month premium is too high.While shopping around for car insurance, I found an auto quote that was A LOT more affordable than if I were to stick with my current insurance. With that being said, I had a lot of questions.I got into a car accident in May 2012 and it was my fault. No one was hurt and no air bags deployed. My insurance paid the damages. Now, if I cancel my policy with them, does that mean that I have to pay the insurance company back the money for the damages they covered to the other car?My other question is how much information do I disclose when applying for a new auto policy? I have of course included the at-fault accident in May and I also included the accident that was not my fault. Before these 2 accidents, I had one just one that was in a parking lot. The other driver and I were deemed both at fault, 50/50. Damage to his car was around $700. That was 3 years ago. The insurance company I was looking into said online to include accidents that were at least 51% your fault and accidents that weren'-t your fault too. Do I include this accident too even tho it was 50/50?My last question is about speeding and points. I my first speeding ticket in June 2012. I got a reduced fine and went to traffic school so it wouldn'-t show up and get a point. Once again, while looking at auto quotes, they asked if I had a moving violation which includes speeding. Because I went to traffic school and everything, do I tell them about that too?Despite the bad luck I'-ve had this past year with my driving record, I only have one point. The 50/50 accident will be off because it'-s the 3rd year. I live in CA and got this info from the DMV website: "-The length of time depends on the severity of the offense. Most points (illegal turn, not making a complete stop, driving over the speed limit, etc.) and/or accidents will stay on your driver record for 36 months (3 years)."-I'-ve included the link: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/teenweb/more_btn6/points/points.htmAny advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks!


You shouldn't lie about anything because the motor vehicle records are scanned and they will see everything anyway.Add: if you went to traffic school to reduce a ticket, that won't be on your record. As long as you satisfied the requirements of the court that is. Insurance agents don't "want" to charge you for a speeding ticket because all,it does is increase the premium and then you decide you don't want it. Even if you tell them you have a ticket, if it doesn't show up on the motor vehicle record, they are NOT going to want to hold that against you. They will be excited it didn't show up..


To switch ins co's just start a new policy and the next day cancel your current ins. If they notify the state that you've cancelled, so what, you'll have proof that you were coveredThe ins that was in effect at the time of the accident is still covering the accident, even after you cancelThere ain't no sense in trying to lie to get lower premiums, once the ins co has your license number they'll get a full driving record from the state, if you try to defraud them they can drop ya


Regarding disclosure to the insurance company, I think you should tell them what you were at fault for. I believe in California any points or infractions would be "masked" if you take traffic school. It may be possible to still see there was an offense, so your best bet would be to say you received a moving violation but had your points removed by taking traffic school.Source(s):http://www.trafficschooltogo.com/califor…



Popular Q&A

Car insurance taken money out of my bank without my permission?
You just asked this question once and after I and someone else had given you a response, it said you had deleted the question.Here we go again...Your bank should be able to claim indemnity if those payments were not authorised by you. That means that the bank would put the money straight back...

How good is USAA auto insurance?
USAA is an incredible company for Auto Insurance, as well as banking, life insurance, and home/rental insurance.Personally, I have Auto / Credit Card / Life Insurance / Rental Insurance all through USAA.When I was involved in a car accident a few years ago, it took only one call to get everything...

How much do you pay every six months for your Auto Insurance, If you live in Michigan?
You left out all the details which would be important to answer this question. Who do you have for insurance now? you will need to contact a LOCAL agent for your same current company and transfer your insurance to your new state. Please, please, do not do it online, or with any 800 number....

Do you know a good lawyer in rockford IL?
You can search for an IL lawyer on the state bar website by practice area and location: http://ilf.isba.org/The Chicago Bar Association also maintains a lawyer referral service (including a 1-800 number): http://www.chicagobar.org/AM/Template.cf…There are also lots of options for free and low-cost...

What are some inexpensive, yet reliable auto insurance companies?
try mercury, aig, or progressive...get a free online insurance quote here...http://www.autoinsurancepros.netSource(s):http://www.autoinsurancepros.net